Connect with us

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

Four in court over GH¢1.6 billion tax evasion

Published

on

Four persons accused of evading tax of GH¢1.6 billion cedis,

Four persons accused of evading tax to the tune of GH¢1.6 billion cedis, have appeared before an Accra Circuit Court.

Frank Kwadwo Ofori, Chief Executive Officer of K. Ofori Enterprise and three other officials of United Steel Company, namely Hani Mikati, Marwam Hamwi and Sallam Mohammed Gharib are said to have evaded taxes from the year 2013 to 2021.

The accused persons have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime namely fraudulent evasion of tax and fraudulent evasion of tax.

They had earlier on been remanded into Police custody last week by the court.

When sitting resumed, Mrs. Afua Owusua Appiah, the trial judge, admitted them to bail in the sum of one million cedis each with three sureties to be justified.

One justification, the court said, should be a landed property.

The court further ordered the accused persons to deposit their passports at the Court’s registry.

They are also to report to the Police every two weeks and reappear on June 8.

Counsels of the accused persons relied on their arguments for bail made at the first sitting of the court.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare, who led prosecution, substituted the charges and facts.

Not opposing to bail of the accused persons, ASP Asare, informed the court to avert its minds to the fact that apart from Ofori, the rest of the accused persons were foreign nationals, a claim the defense counsel vehemently opposed.

The Prosecution said the bail application should be such that the accused persons would attend to court always.

The case of the State as narrated by ASP Asare, are that, sometime during the year 2021, security agencies picked up information regarding the unlawful activities of the accused persons including fraudulent evasion of tax and money laundering.

The Prosecution said further intelligence revealed that the members and or officers of United Steel Company (USC) developed a scheme apparently to evade taxes and disguised the proceeds in Ghana and abroad.

It said pursuant to the preceding scheme and to facilitate the unlawful activities, Ofori incorporated a company by name Kwadwo Boakye Enterprise (KBE) and same was made a nominee of and agent for USC.

Consequently, Prosecution said surveillance was mounted on the activities of the accused persons and on April 29, this year, they were picked up.

During a search at the offices of USC and residence of Mikati, about 15 signed cheque books without face value from five separate banks in the name of KBE were found.

Preliminary investigation, Prosecution said, had established that the accused persons through their unlawful activities had fraudulently evaded taxes to the tune of GHC1.6 billion between the period of 2013 to April 2021 and they had concealed and disguised the proceeds into investments in Ghana and abroad.

Prosecution said investigations were underway.

Source: GNA

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

65-year-old man arrested for allegedly raping step-mother

Published

on

By

A 65-year-old man, identified as Durodola Kayode Ogundele, of Ayetoro-Ekiti, has reportedly been arrested by the police at Ekiti for forcing himself on his 85-year-old stepmother.

The case was confirmed by the Spokesperson of the state police command, ASP Abutu Sunday who revealed that the abuse occurred in the room of the victim on June 15.

According to a statement released by the police command, the suspect went into the room of the victim to apply herbal medicine on her leg like he always does but things took a different turn.

The statement revealed that while the suspect was applying the ointment on the leg of his late father’s wife, he forcefully had sexual intercourse twice.

SOURCEghgossip

Continue Reading

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

How police prevented GH¢550,000 Accra-Winneba Road bullion van heist

Published

on

By

• The robbers of the Accra-Winneba road bullion van attack would have made away with a whopping GH¢550,000

• The robbers failed to get the car to stop despite the multiple gunfires

• The money was being transported from the Ordokor Zenith Bank Branch to its Winneba branch

It has been revealed that the gunmen who attacked a bullion van travelling from Odorkor towards Winneba on Thursday, June 17, 2021, would have made away with a whopping GH¢550,000 had they been successful in the heist.

In an interview sighted by GhanaWeb, DSP Osei Fofie who is the Gomoa Dominase District Police Commander disclosed that the GH¢550,000 which was being transported in the bullion van with registration number GN-6956-17 belong to Zenith Bank.

According to the Police Commander, the van which was transporting the said money to Winneba upon reaching between Potsin and Okyereko was attacked by the armed gang of robbers who unleashed gunshots on the van.

According to reports, the vehicle had three persons on board including a police officer, Sgt. Frank Agyemang; Alfred Aidoo, the driver and Martinson Odei Gyebi a staff of the bank.

The 3 people were able to manoeuvre through the gunshots when the gunmen opened fire on the vehicle.

Whiles the vehicle was under intense gunfire, the Police officer placed an SOS call following which a nearby patrol team was dispatched to the area.

The robbers having missed their booty, fled into a nearby bush before the arrival of the police team.

“The Police in Winneba escorted the bullion van back to Odorkor branch of Zenith bank so all passengers escaped unhurt and the money in the van remained intact,” the DSP said.

Photos of the attacked bullion van sighted by GhanaWeb shows the vehicle took multiple hits during the attack, including one that penetrated the window of the front passenger seat even though its occupants escaped unhurt.

This failed bullion van robbery attack comes just three days after a similar one staged at Adedenkpo, a suburb of Jamestown in Accra left two persons dead.

The robbers in the Adedenkpo heist successfully made away with an undisclosed cash sum after their attack which left behind three casualties.

While the driver of the bullion van was left with injuries in the attack, General Constable Emmanuel Osei – the police officer who was on escort duty in the van and one Madam Grace Afua Amankwa – a trader in the neighborhood died from gunshots.

Two bank tellers in the car however survived the attack unharmed, albeit traumatized.

 

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

DCE leads operation to arrest illegal miners in Adansi Akrofuom

Published

on

By

The District Chief Executive of Adansi Akrofuom in the Ashanti Region, Maurice Jonas Woode, has led an operation to arrest two illegal miners who were operating in the Supuma Forest near Betenase in the Akrofuom District.

The operation team also included personnel from the Ghana Police Service and the Forestry Commission.

The suspects, who are from Tamale in the Northern Region. are Dagbe Ernest Suglo, 27, and Napoba Alareku, 27.

Addressing the press after the arrest, DCE Woode said even before the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel Jinapor, declared forest reserves and water bodies as red zones, the Assembly had already teamed up with the Forestry Commission at Betenase to sensitize all and sundry on the dangers of illegal mining and advised them to protect the forest.

He continued “but to our dismay, we had information that the illegal miners had pitched camp in the area with five sprinter buses and were even fighting among themselves”.

The DCE further stated that they had tried on several occasions to clamp down on their activities but to no avail, since they no more used excavators but have adopted the metal detector system, which is mostly complicated and becomes very difficult for their operations to be noticed.

He continued that the miners upon getting wind of the presence of the operation team, fled, leaving their machines behind while luck ran out on two of their colleagues who were immediately apprehended by the police.

LOGISTICS FOR FORESTRY GUARDS

Mr Jonas Woode appealed to the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources to provide logistics for the Forestry Commission to enable them crackdown on activities of the illegal miners who, he said, have adopted sophisticated methods to carry out their activities.

The Assistant District Manager at the Bekwai office of the Forestry Commission, Palmer Amponsah, praised the DCE for his unwavering efforts to stop illegal mining in his District.

He mentioned that though the Commission is doing its best to stop the activities of illegal miners, their numbers are too small.

He called on the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources to provide them with logistics judging from the new approaches adopted by the galamseyers.

“Since the use of excavators by galamseyers has almost come to a halt, they have adopted the use of metal detectors which look like bags. This is very difficult to detect.”

ASP Mahama Iddrisu, who is in charge of Operations at the Obuasi Divisional Command, debunked the notion that the police find it difficult to prosecute galamseyers.

He opined that the police need hard-core evidence to successfully prosecute illegal miners.

ASP Mahama Iddrisu, a former prosecutor, said “the major challenge we face in the prosecution of illegal miners is the absence of hardcore evidence in some instances. The court will always set the accused free if the evidence found against him is not strong enough”.

Source: 3news.com

Continue Reading

Trending