The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has said mosquito coil caused the fire outbreak that claimed three lives at Abuakwa in the Atwima Nwabiagya municipality of Ashanti Region.
It says, “an unattended lit mosquito coil in close contact with room combustibles caused the heart wrenching fire which claimed 3 lives and resulted in the destruction of three (3) bedrooms and their contents including roofing sheets, doors, utensils, furniture, household appliances and personal effects which run into several thousands of cedis”.
A mother,28, her daughter, 9, and her granddaughter, 6, were burnt to death on Wednesday, February 1.
The deceased got trapped in their room, suffocated by the heavy smoke and burnt to death by the fire.
Fire fighters believed the fire started at about 2:00am on the said day.
The Ashanti Regional Fire Command said an unattended lit mosquito coil in close contact with room combustibles caused the fire which claimed 3 lives.
“Fortunately, two (2) other tenants in the affected house managed to escape unhurt from the ruinous fire,” the Duty Officer, ASTNO Osei Gyamfi, explained.
He said “late call-up to the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) for help, as a result of late detection of fire and wrong address provided to the fire scene and poor road network led to the destruction of three (3) bedroom and their contents”.